Helmet Mod

Posted on 9:56 PM by Benji | 0 comments

After returning to playing CQB, I realized it was time to get better protection for my head. In the field or the jungle, one gets protection from the foliage and the distance between players. In enclosed spaces like rooms or narrow corridors, even 350 fps feels like 450 due to the close proximity between shooters. Add high ROF, you come home with more than a welt or two.

So I decided to go and get one. The only problem was that I couldn't find any my size as most helmets were too big for me. So I went to get a cheap helmet (the one in the picture is said to be a scooter helmet but after looking at the construction, I would not even wear it for biking) that I could modify. Here's how it looks:

Photobucket


Photobucket


First thing I did was to sand off the shiny surface to make the paint stick more efficiently. The decals had to be removed with a dremel and the I cut off the visor.

 
Photobucket

After the initial sanding and cutting, I tested it with a pair of goggles to see how it would fit. So far it looks good though I will have to add some material on the front of the helmet to cover the lining.

 
Photobucket

From the side, there is a possibility that a pellet could strike between the goggles and the rim on the front of the helmet. I'll be adding material (from pvc) to cover that.

 
Photobucket

The back seems a little exposed so I will lengthen it a little but no too much that I won't be able to look up without the rim hitting the back of my neck. I also need to add a strap of some sorts to keep the band of the goggles from moving up and down.

 
Photobucket

So that's all for now. I'll be continuing next weekend and post updates and pictures as I work on this project. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...