Lipoly battery update

Posted on 11:59 AM by Benji | 0 comments

Yesterday I was busy doing some work on my wife's JG G3 A3 as I needed to install a new piston body to replace the one with the torn teeth. When all was done I put in my battery to see how well the new piston was working. Only when I was done testing did I notice this on one of the battery leads:

Photobucket


As you can see, the rubber insulation of the black wire was torn open. My thinking is that since the lead is quite long, it may have torn itself after being installed and removed  from the battery compartment. This is not  a major problem since I had no plans of playing this weekend and the extra time I had allowed me to fix the issue.

Photobucket


A close up shot of the wire revealed that not only was the insulation torn, but also the individual wires themselves were shearing. This resulted in having to shorten both wires to prevent further damaged. I also made a mental note to be more careful when putting the battery inside the compartment.

What I am surprised about is the flimsiness of the rubber insulation. It is soft and quite flexible, making me think that it could be bent without worrying about it tearing. Had I played this weekend without noticing this, the cells themselves could be damaged forcing me to buy another battery.

This is the reason many buy bar type units instead of the triple-chuck version. With so many wires, something like this is bound to happen. The one main advantage of this version is it allows each cell to cool down between shots, which in turn leads to longer life.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...